Thursday, August 28, 2008

Framework 3:Johns model for structured reflection

Johns model for structured reflection (2000)
This model not only provides a framework but also encourages guided reflection; this involves sharing reflections with a supervisor or peer in order to obtain greater understanding of an experience.
Johns model for structured reflection is a very in depth framework in that it explores empirics, this is looking at what knowledge did or could have informed the writer in the given situation, this is the main differentiating point of Johns Model, and helps the writer understand their actions and others reactions.

Looking in
· Find a space to focus on self
· Pay attention to your thoughts and emotions
· Write down those thoughts and emotions that seem significant in realising desirable work.
Looking out
· Write a description of the situation surrounding your thoughts and feelings.
· What issues seem significant?
Aesthetics
· What was I trying to achieve?
· Why did I respond as I did?
· What were the consequences of that for the patient/others/myself?
· How were others feeling?
· How did I know this?
Personal
· Why did I feel the way I did within this situation?
Ethics
· Did I act for the best? (ethical mapping)
· What factors (either embodied within me or embedded within the environment) were influencing me?
Empirics
· What knowledge did or could have informed me?
Reflexivity
· Does this situation connect with previous experiences?
· How could I handle this situation better?
· What would be the consequences of alternative actions for the patient/others/myself?
· How do I now feel about this experience?
· Can I support myself and others better as a consequence?
· How available am I to work with patients/families and staff to help them meet their needs?http://staffcentral.brighton.ac.uk

No comments: